Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Wing Battle

There is a constant debate in my circle between Hooters (beware the heavy Flash) and Buffalo Wild Wings (BW3) as to which has the better wing.  I polled a selection of people from my email contact list.  Quaker Steak and Lube is excluded from this battle; I've been to one and was not impressed.  It was all you could eat wing day there, so I tried a bunch of their sauces.  Overall, the sauces were too gimmicky, many of which were too sweet or just not palatable (Tequila lime was gross).  So, here we go with the survey results:


BW3 vs Hooters
1982 Since 1984
601 Locations “over 450” in 26 countries
Buzztime Trivia? Claim to fame Hooters girls
14 (4 “hot” variations) Number of sauces 10 (3 “hot” variations)
~$15 for 18  wings Price ~$15 for 20 wings
45 cent  Tuesdays Specials night All you can eat Tuesday
Free ranch/blue cheese Bonus Paper towels at table
Wiki Link Wiki
62% Preferred bare wing 38%
85% Preferred wing with sauce 15%
92% Preferred sauces (selection/variety,
application, quality/taste)
8%
62% Preferred atmosphere 38%


Surprisingly, Hooters lost the "preferred atmosphere" battle, which I wasn't expecting...
Another shock was how many people claimed that the Mango Habanero sauce from BW3 is their preferred sauce...
I understand that nobody ever gets a "bare" wing.  In my opinion, Hooters has the better "bare" wing because it's a fried/breaded wing, compared to BW3's non-breaded wing.

Other thoughts from the survey:

"It's difficult for me to get service in Hooters. Typically I just make eye contact with waitresses, but in Hooters they think I'm checking them out, so I have to call them over. Plus it's just a white trashy environment. When my Dad met my first Mom there in the 70's it was a much classier establishment."

"Going to Hooters is like paying for a lapdance you'll never get and going to Wild Wings is like paying for decent wings you'll never get."

"Hooters is trashy"

"Hooters is like a strip club: you go for the tits and ass but you know you going to get a shitty over priced drink. And in the end you leave with a hard on you payed too much, you never see a bare ass nor tit and you feel just as dirty. Now that I think about it I would rather go to a Mexican strip joint knowing in the end I might get laid and I wouldn't have shelled out that much cash."

"Price - Hooters has tons of specials and they're all better than the infamous ".60 cent wings" special at Bdubs. If that's a special then is it a $1 per wing on average? That's $6 for 6 wings and its $7.95 for 12 at Hooters"

"Only if BW3 would have similar uniforms as hooters, then hooters would be out of business"

"I definitely prefer BW3 to Hooters wings, but Hooters has some amazing chili. Don't know what's up with that, but it rocks my socks."

"If I'm really hungry, BW's. Otherwise, I'll take the view at Hooters."

"When was the last time you saw anyone in Hooters that looked like they had a respectable job?"

"Hooters Hot, Bdubs Mango Habenero.  However, slowly but surely Hooters is coming out with more and more selection. They just came out with a Lemon dry rub thingy. Quality I would give to Bdubs because of only the size of the wing but taste goes to HooHoos."

"BW3 has cuter waitresses because they're not intentionally trampy, MMA"

"I have had too many uncooked wings at hooters"

"I put BW3, though I always have sauce on them. There are some bare things at Hooters I would prefer though."

"I am a major fan of both boobs and sports, but now that I am over 18 I go to restaurants for the food. Hooters "atmosphere" I can get at home on the internet; ironically, both require wet wipes."

You can fill out the survey here

You can view the results here

No comments: