Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Most Expensive Dinner

In 2005, I presented some research in Georgetown.  A few others from the hospital where I worked also presented.  Word on the street was that I was supposed to win an award.  In fact I didn't win, explained by my colleagues that because one of my co-workers had won a different award, I couldn't win because "the man" didn't want to give us a monopoly.  So... that's the way it was.

That night, my little posse went out to dinner.  The most senior doctor there said that the president of one of our hospitals was so proud that we had as many presentations as we did.  The president had given her his personal credit card and wanted us to celebrate.

We went to 1789, which was his favorite restaurant.  Some people inside were in tuxes.  It was myself, the senior physician, a resident, and the resident's 10 year old son.  There was a string quartet or trio playing in one corner of the restaurant.  The atmosphere was like a cavernous, older Ritz.  Needless to say, we ordered a lot.  I remember it as a prix-fixe, but the current online menu has courses ala carte.

When I was there, we had every offered course.  Pre-dinner drinks.  Expensive wine.  Cheese plates.  Desert drinks.  And then at the end, grappa.  I had never heard of grappa.  I ordered some, sipped it.  Felt it.

The food was very good.  I don't remember what I had except for a cheese plate, some red wine, and grappa.  I haven't had grappa since, probably because it's $12 a shot.  If I could go back, I'd break down with The Glenlivet 25

I was staying at a different hotel from the rest of the group, and I was within walking distance.  It was a Thursday night.  I began to walk through Georgetown, somewhat buzzed (if not borderline drunk), and found a student bar that was not a dive, went in, sat down, got a drink, hung out with some students, and then went home.

In the end, I think we had run up a $700 bill between the four of us.  And the 10 year old had ordered simple things and no alcohol.  I don't know how much my individual bill would have been, but I remember it would have been at least $200.  End cost to me: $0.

No comments: